I try not to go down this path. A lot of times if you are in a very tiny minority, it really just means you are wrong (e.g. No, the other Orthodox are not heretics, No, you are not the Pope, No, you shouldn’t be burning Bibles, etc.). So, I freely admit that I’m going out a bit on a limb here, so please take it with a grain of salt.
I think this piece by Yves Smith is worthwhile reading. It talks about media generally, and it’s reaction to investment banks and Wall Street in particular. The movie she mentions is really interesting. I started watching it once, but couldn’t make it through it was freaking me out so much. I’ve excerpted a portion of the article below; you can read the rest if you like.
I couldn’t tell immediately, but one of my friends remarked in 2000 that the reporting was increasingly reminiscent of what she had grown up with in communist Poland. The state of the US media became evident to me when I lived in Australia during the run-up and the first two years of the Gulf War. I would regularly e-mail people in the States about stories I thought were important and I suspected might not be getting much play in the US. My correspondents were media junkies. 85% of the time, a story that had gotten widespread coverage in Australia appeared not to have been released in the US. And the other 15%, it didn’t get much attention (for instance, buried in the middle of the first section of the New York Times). And remember, Australia was an ally and sent troops to the Iraq.